Crane Operator Safety – Overhead
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite
Course Length: 3-4 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty-five (35) in the classroom session and twenty (20) in the practical session. A second instructor shall be added for the practical session once the participation exceeds twenty(20)
- Provide delegates assigned to work with or around overhead cranes with the necessary skills to safely perform their jobs.
- Provide delegates with recommended practices and overhead crane regulations.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate the necessary skills during practical examination and demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
- Practical Exercises
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
- Successful completion of practical session is mandatory.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
About Overhead Cranes
- Video“Overhead Cranes”
- Common Crane Hazards
- Overhead Crane Capacity
- Clearance from Obstruction
- Crane Components
- Trolley Bumpers
Overhead Crane Inspection Requirements
- Daily or Pre-use Inspection
- Inspection Checklist Example
- Preventative Maintenance
- Hoist Control
- Inspection Classifications
- Running Rope Inspection
- Rope Replacement
Overhead Crane Operations
- General Operating Requirements
- Attaching the Load
- Moving the Load
- Hoist Safety
- Review Hand Signals
Rigging Equipment Summary
- Common Types of Slings
- Sling Inspection/Characteristics
- Wire Rope
- Synthetic Web
- Polyester Round
Rigging Technique Summary
- 3 Basic Hitches
- Vertical Leg
- Vertical Basket
- Sling Lifting Capacities (Working Load Limits)
Practical training shall utilize an overhead crane, various slings, loads & rigging techniques.
Practical shall verify the following:
- Conduct proper pre-use inspection of crane and rigging gear
- Select the appropriate hardware/rigging gear to complete required lifts
- Effectively control the crane operations and uses operating indicators
- Accelerate and decelerate crane in a smooth safe manner
- Verify the load is not swinging prior to landing the load
- Respond to standardized hand signals from signal person
- Verify slings are properly connected/free before continuing operations
- Keep the hook clear of riggers while the slings are disconnected
- Ensure overall safety of personnel during crane operations
- Properly store hardware/rigging gear following its use
Training Center Provided Material
- Must possess good physical health as the practical training is physical demanding.
- Overhead Crane with Rigging Gear
Reference Material / Documents
OSHA 29 CFR 1910.179
- Course ID #: MA015