Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite.
Course Length: 1-2 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty–five (35) in the classroom session.
- Provide delegates with the information needed to successfully wear respirators.
- Provide delegates knowledge about the requirements of a respiratory protection program.
- Address different types of respirators and their use.
- Address inspection, maintenance, and storage requirements.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
- Key Term
- Immediate Dangerous to Life and Health (IDLH)
- Respiratory System
- Health Effects of Respiratory Exposure
- Acute vs. Chronic
- Common Effects from Respirator Use
- Why Wear a Respirator?
- Breathing Air Composition
- Employee Control Measures
- Engineering Controls
- Administrative Controls
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Employer Responsibilities
- Respiratory Protection Program Requirements
- Employee Responsibilities
- Types of Respirators
- Air Purifying
- Supplied Air
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Atmospheric Supplied Air
- Cascade Systems
- Escape Packs
- Fit Testing
- Medical Requirements
- Respirator Usage
- Respirator Inspection
- Proper Donning/Doffing
- Respirator Maintenance
- Respirator Storage
While there is no practical session for this course, employers commonly include a Respirator Fit or Pulmonary Function test as a preparatory step prior to deployment of a worker.
Training Center Provided Material
Reference Material / Documents
OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134
- Course ID #: MA074