Air Winch Safety
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite. The individual should have no history of a disabling medical condition, which may be sufficient reason for disqualification.
Course Length: 3-4 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty-five (35) in the classroom session and twenty (20) in the practical session. A second instructor shall be added for the practical session once the participation exceeds twenty (20) and exercises will be divided into groups.
- Provide delegates assigned to operate industrial Air Winches the necessary skills to safely perform their jobs.
- Provide delegates with recommended industry practices to allow safe work with Air Winches.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate the necessary skills during practical examination and demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
- Practical Exercises
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
- Successful completion of practical session is mandatory.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
About Air Winch
- Why Training?
- Common Air Winch Applications
- Qualified Operator
- Qualified Inspector
- Qualified Rigger
- Pre-Use Inspection
- Red Zone
- Air Compressor Terms
- Pounds Per Square Inch (PSI)
- Absolute Pressure
- Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM)
- Standard Cubic Feet Per Minute (SCFM)
- CFM/PSI Example
- Operator Requirements
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Facility Manager/Yard Manager/Offshore Manager
- First Line Supervisor/Superintendent
- Winch Operator
- Signal Person
- Personnel Working Near Equipment
Air Winch Safety
- Safety Devices
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Barricading the Work Area
- Air Winch Installation Requirements
- Pre Installation Requirements
- Securing Air Winch
- Power Supplies
- Air Compressors
- Test Certificates
- Air Supply Information
- Calculating Air Flow
- Snatch Block
- Snatch Block Examples
- Proper Sheave/Wire Rope Requirements
- Sheave Inspection
- Wire Rope Spooling
- Spooling Examples
- Wire Rope Maintenance
- Wire Rope Alignment Techniques
Air Winch Inspection
- Pre-Use Inspection
- General Air Winch criteria/examples
- Wire Rope
- Synthetic Web Slings
- Polyester Round Slings
- Inspection Form Example
- Function Test
Air Winch Operation
- Winch Capacity
- Winch Speed
- Winch Operation
- Pre Operations
- Post Operations
- Winch Brake
- Winch Operations Example
- Load Control/Tag Lines
- Signal Person Requirements
- Hand Signal Review
Practical training shall utilize an air winch, various slings, loads & rigging techniques.
Practical shall verify that the delegate has the ability to complete the following:
- Select and wear appropriate PPE during practical training
- Inspect and identify damaged hardware/rigging gear
- Select the appropriate hardware/rigging gear to complete required lifts
- Communicate with the operator using proper hand signals
- Use tag lines properly to control loads
- Select the appropriate rigging techniques to complete the required lifts Place load(s) in appropriate locations (outside of walkways)
- Maintain hand/body position absent from hazards (pinch points)
- Prevent anyone from standing under a suspended load
- Safely work with others as a team
- Store hardware/rigging gear properly following its use
Training Center Provided Material
- Rigging Material
- Air Winch shall be provided by the customer at a customer location
- Must possess good physical health as the practical training is physical demanding.
Reference Material / Documents
Recommended Industry Practices
API RP 2D 7th Edition
OSHA Construction Rigging
- Course ID #: MA005