Crane Operator Safety – Mobile
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite. The individual should have no history of a disabling medical condition, which may be sufficient reason for disqualification.
Course Length: 3-4 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty-five (35) in the classroom session and twenty (20) in the practical session. A second instructor shall be added for the practical session once the participation exceeds twenty (20) and exercises will be divided into groups.
- Provide delegates assigned to mobile crane duties the necessary skills to safely perform their jobs.
- Provide delegates with recommended practices and guidelines to perform safely while working with mobile cranes.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate the necessary skills during practical examination and demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
- Practical Exercises
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
- Successful completion of practical session is mandatory.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
- Qualified Rigger
- Qualified Crane Operator
- Qualified Crane Inspector
- Mobile Crane Common Components
- Boom Components
- Head Sheave Assembly
- Structural Integrity
- Boom Bolts
- Pin Connectors
- Boom Stops
- Limit Devices
- Boom-hoist limit
- Load hoist limits
- Boom stops
- All locking devices
- Anti-two block devices
- Hoist Equipment
- Main/Auxiliary Hoist
- Wedge sockets
- Inspection Categories
- Inspection categories
- Maintenance Procedures
- Wire Rope Construction/Handling
- Loading Wire Rope on Crane Drum
- Wire Rope Inspection/Replacement Guidelines
- Sheave Inspection
- Lift Capacity
- Boom Angles
- Load Radius
- Load Charts
- Load Limiting Factors
- Electrical Hazards
- Operator Responsibilities
- Before Starting the Lift
- Before Leaving Controls
- Crane Accidents Contributing Factors
Crane Accident Review
- Big Blue
- Contact with Power Lines
- Crane/Rigging Lift Plan
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Hand Signals/Communication
Practical training shall utilize a mobile crane, various slings, loads & rigging techniques.
Practical shall verify the following:
- Conducts proper pre-use inspection of crane and rigging gear
- Selects the appropriate hardware/rigging gear to complete required lifts
- Effectively controls the crane operations and uses operating indicators
- Accelerates, decelerates, and swings crane in a smooth safe manner
- Verifies the load is not swinging prior to landing the load
- Responds to standardized hand signals from signal person
- Verifies slings are properly connected/free before continuing operations
- Keeps the hook clear of riggers while the slings are disconnected
- Ensures overall safety of the rigging team during crane operations
- Places the hook in a bucket (verify depth position)
- Properly stores hardware/rigging gear following its use
Training Center Provided Material
- Must possess good physical health as the practical training is physical demanding.
- Must provide a Mobile Crane
- Rigging Gear (if onsite)
Reference Material / Documents
OSHA 29 CFR 1910.180
OSHA 29 CFR 1926.1400
API RP 2D
- Course ID #: MA014