Drug & Alcohol Supervisor
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite.
Course Length: 3-4 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty-five (35) in the classroom session.
- Provide delegates the requirements of a substance abuse policy.
- The prevalence of alcohol and drug abuse and its impact on the workplace.
- How to recognize the link between poor performance and alcohol and/or drug abuse.
- The progression of the disease of addiction.
- Types of assistance available.
- The different components of the Drug-Free Workplace Policy.
- Their role in implementing the Drug-Free Workplace Policy.
- Supervisor Responsibilities.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by
the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
About Substance Abuse
- Understanding Addiction
- Reasons for Substance Abuse in the Workplace
- Impact of Substance Abuse in the Workplace
- Company’s Viewpoint
- Sign and Symptoms of Substance Abuse
- Drug Abuse Statistics
- Age Comparison
- Gender Comparison
- Education Comparison
- New Hire vs. Random
- The High Cost of Substance Abuse
- Video – Recognizing Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Hidden Cost of Abuse
- Reasons for Drug Testing
- Reasonable Cause Drug Testing
- Common Types of Drugs and Effects
- PCP (Phencyclidine)
Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- Program Short-Term Benefits
- Program Long-Term Benefits
- Goals of Policy
- Policy Content
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- About Employee Assistance Program
- EAP Confidentiality
- Family and Co-worker Impact on Employee
Video – DOT Drug Testing
- Legal Sensitive Areas
- Performance Problems/Potential Crisis Situations
- Steps to Identify Performance Problems
- Constructive Confrontation Techniques
- Actions following Constructive Confrontation
- Possible Substance Abuse Situation
- Recommended Actions
- Supervisor Do’s and Don’t
- Investigating a Potential Substance Abuse Crisis Situation
- Approaching Difficult Situations
Training Center Provided Material
- Course Material
Reference Material / Documents
Drug Free Workplace Act 1988
Interpretation of 1904.35(b)(1)(i) and (iv)
DOT 49 CFR 382
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
- Course ID #: MA114