Electrical Safety Qualified Person
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite.
Course Length: 8 hours - Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time include breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty–five (35) in the classroom session.
NFPA 70E for Qualified Persons is an online course that will cover NFPA 70E standards as they relate to being a qualified person, for electricians seeking consideration as qualified persons or those looking to be retrained.
The course must be coupled with on-the-job training to become a qualified person.
- When you have successfully completed this course, you will:
- Understand important requirements contained in NFPA 70E, particularly as they pertain to being a qualified person for work around electrical equipment, and including:
- Content of an electrical safety program for the workplace
- Training and job briefing requirements
- Responsibilities of everyone who works with or near electrical equipment, qualified or unqualified
- Describe elements of an electrically safe work condition
- Recognize the important safety concepts for working around energized electrical equipment, including:
- Justification for energized work
- Identification of hazards and the assessment of risks
- Identification and use of protective shock and arc flash boundaries
- Control of electrical energy through lockout/tagout
- Selection, use, and maintenance of personal protective equipment
- Understand the safety requirements found in NFPA 70E for working around electrolytic cells, batteries, lasers, and power electronic equipment supervision.
- E-Learning Environment with student competency testing.
- This course will cover NFPA 70E standards as they relate to being a qualified person, for electricians seeking consideration as qualified persons or those looking to be retrained.
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Delegates will have no more than sixty (60) minutes to complete the exam.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
Course Content Summary
The course will follow the NFPA 70E standard with the following modules:
- An Introduction to NFPA 70E
- Establishing an Electrically Safe Work Condition
- Working While Exposed to Electrical Hazards
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Requirements for Safety-Related Maintenance and Special Equipment Arc flash
- Limited and restricted approach boundaries
- Limits of approach
- Electrical Safety Program
- Host and contract employers
- Qualified and unqualified persons
- Shock risk assessment
- Arc flash risk assessment
- Arc flash incident energy method
- Arc flash PPE category method
- Electrical safety authority (ESA)
- Lockout/tagout program (LOTO)
- Certified Electrical Safety Worker (CESW)
- Energized electrical work permit
- Arc flash PPE category
- Arc-rated apparel
- Safety grounding equipment
- Batteries, lasers, power electronic equipment
Training Center Provided Material
- Course Materials
Reference Material / Documents
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) NFPA 70E
- Course ID #: E201