Fall Protection Rescue
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite.
Course Length: 3-4 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty-five (35) in the classroom session and twenty (20) in the practical session. A second instructor shall be added for the practical session once the participation exceeds twenty (20) and exercises will be divided into groups.
- Provide delegates assigned to rescue duties the necessary skills to safely perform their jobs.
- Inform personnel of the regulations regarding fall protection rescue.
- Provide the relevant information associated with the development and implementation of a fall protection rescue plan.
- Discuss the types of rescue equipment and how to respond to a rescue situation.
- Demonstrate proper use of rescue equipment.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate the necessary skills during practical examination and demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
- Practical Exercises
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
- Successful completion of practical session is mandatory.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
About Fall Rescue
- What is Fall Rescue?
- Employer Responsibilities
- Employee Responsibilities
- Orthostatic Intolerance
- How long can someone stay suspended?
- Importance of Rescue Planning
- Rescue Plan Contents
- Rescue Plan Considerations
- Post Fall Procedures
- Medical Considerations
- Suspended Victim
- Rescued Victim
- Types of Rescues
- Deployable Ladders
- Descent Devices
- Assisted Rescue
- Evacuation Harness
- Self-Retracting Lanyards
- Personnel Hoist
- Rescue Pole/Remote Hook
- Synthetic Rope & Tackle Box
- Professional Rescue
Practical training shall utilize common fall protection equipment.
Practical shall verify the following:
- Select and wear appropriate PPE during practical training
- Conduct proper pre-use inspection of PPE and fall protection equipment
- Don body harness properly
- Select and use fall protection lanyard/deceleration device
- Select and use proper anchor points
- Operate deceleration device properly
- Identify and select proper rescue equipment
- Perform an assisted rescue
- Store equipment / PPE properly
Training Center Provided Material
- Fall Protection Equipment
- Must possess good physical health as the practical training is physical demanding.
Reference Material / Documents
OSHA 29 CFR 1926.500-503
OSHA 29 CFR 1910.66 App C
American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z359 Standard
- Course ID #: MA025