RCRA 4 Hour
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite.
Course Length: 4 hours - Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty–five (35) in the classroom session.
- To provide delegates an overview of RCRA that can be used to perform their duties in compliance with the regulations.
- To inform delegates about the hazards associated with the management of hazardous waste.
- To prepare delegates to prevent injury or incident using hazard communication, personal protection equipment, and safe work procedures.
- To understand hazardous waste management procedures, including complying with accumulation and storage requirements.
- To provide delegates with techniques to respond effectively to hazardous waste emergencies in the workplace.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 hour
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
- Overview of RCRA
- Goals of RCRA
- The 3 Elements
- The Act
- The Regulations
- Guidance and Policies
- Related Acts and Regulations
- Clean Air Act
- Clean Water Act
- Subtitles and their Provisions
Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste
- Solid Waste
- Hazardous Waste
- Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities (TSDF)
- Identification Criteria
- Is the material in question a solid waste?
- Is the material excluded from the definition of solid waste or hazardous waste?
- Is the waste a listed or characteristic hazardous waste?
- Toxic listed waste
- Acute hazardous waste
- Characteristic hazardous waste
- Identification Criteria: Listed Wastes
- F list
- K list
- P and U lists o Is the waste delisted?
- Characteristics of Hazardous Wastes
- Special Regulatory Conventions
- Mixed Wastes
Hazardous Waste Generators
- Three categories - based on the amount of hazardous waste generated per calendar month
- LQGs and SQGs Requirements
- VSQG/CESQGs Requirements
- Farmer exclusions and Academic entities
Transporters of Hazardous Waste
- Regulated transporter
- Transfer Facilities
- The RCRA Subtitle C regulation requirements
- EPA Identification Number
- The Manifest
- Required Forms
- General Requirements
- Required Information on Completed Forms
- Using the Manifest System
- The Electronic Manifest
- Rejected Waste
- Manifest Requirements for Water and Rail Transporters
- Special Exemptions for Resource Recovery and Recycling
- Handling Hazardous Waste Discharge
- Must be prepared for an accident
- Notification and diking
- Contacting NRC
- Role of NRC and local authorities
- Additional Regulatory Requirements
- Transporters becoming storage facilities
- Transporters becoming generators
- Disposal facilities
- Permitted facilities
- Interim status facilities
- Operation and Management Standards
- Compliance with:
- Standards for the variety of TSDF units
- Post closure/Final disposal
- Financial assurance
- Ground Water and Air Resources
- Ground Water Protection
- Air Resources Protection
Land Disposal Restrictions
- Disposal Prohibition
- Dilution Prohibition
- Storage Prohibition
Hazardous Waste Combustion
Hazardous Waste Permit Program
- Permitting Scope
- Permitting Process
- Various Types of Permits
- Interim Status
- Special Provisions
- Standardized Permit
State Hazardous Waste Programs
- State Authorization
Specific Hazardous Wastes and Facilities
- Part 266
Universal Waste Management
- What is Universal Waste?
- Universal Waste Program
- Recycling Presumption
- Used Oil as a Hazardous Waste
- Rebuttable Presumption
- Storage Requirements
- Burning Restrictions
Underground Storage Tanks
- Regulatory Requirements
Training Center Provided Material
- Course Materials
Reference Material / Documents
Title 40 of the CFR, Parts 239-282
- Course ID #: MA173