Respirator Fit Testing (Qualitative)
Prerequisites: This course requires that the delegate completes a medical questionnaire (provided by the training center) that must be approved by a physician prior to fit testing.
Procedure Length: 1 hour. The time required for the procedure will depend on the number of masks the delegate must be fitted for.
- To provide delegates with a qualitative fit test and use OSHA-Accepted Fit Test Protocols to evaluate the fit of a respirator on an individual.
- Medical Questionnaire: The delegate will complete a medical questionnaire that must be approved by a physician before fit test procedures can begin.
- Facial Hair: According to Appendix A to §1910.134: Mandatory Fit Testing Procedures,
the test shall not be conducted if there is any hair growth between the skin and the face piece sealing surface, such as stubble beard growth, beard, mustache or sideburns which cross the respirator sealing surface. Any type of apparel which interferes with a satisfactory fit shall be altered or removed.
- Inspection: The delegate shall be given the opportunity to inspect and personally decontaminate the respirator before each use.
- The delegate must be able to detect the odor of the test source.
- The delegate shall be informed how to properly don and doff the respirator.
- The delegate will achieve a positive and/or negative pressure check
- The delegate will conduct a series of Fit Test exercises for a period of 1 minute each.
- Failure to successfully complete the required exercises will result in a void test, and the delegate must be reassessed.
- Course ID #: MA073