Scaffold Safety – Suspended
Prerequisites: This course shall have no formal pre-requisite.
Course Length: 4 hours – Course length shall vary depending on the number of delegates. Total course time includes breaks.
Class Size: The maximum number of delegates that may be trained and tested per instructor shall be thirty-five (35) in the classroom session and twenty (20) in the practical session. A second instructor shall be added for the practical session once the participation exceeds twenty (20).
- Provide delegates assigned to work on or around scaffolds the necessary skills to safely perform their jobs.
- Provide delegates with recommended practices and guidelines to perform safely while working with scaffolds.
- Delegates should be able to demonstrate the necessary skills during practical examination and demonstrate knowledge during written examination.
- Power Point© / Lecture / Audio Video / Visual Aids
- Practical Exercises
Successful Course Completion
- Requires a minimum score of 75% or better.
- Grades shall be calculated by dividing the number of questions answered correctly by the total number of exam questions.
- Delegates will have no more than thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam.
- Successful completion of practical session is mandatory.
Course Content Summary
Breaks: 10 minutes (approximately every hour)
Lunch: 1 Hour (if applicable)
About Suspended Scaffolds
- General Uses
- Air Components
- General Safety Guidelines
- General Equipment Specifications
- Gross Lifting Capacities
- Drum Capacities
- Suspended Scaffold Transport
- Suspended Scaffold Inspection
- Work Platform
- Guardrail System
- Air System
- Cubic Feet Per Minute
- Pounds Per Square
- Air Lines Connection/Security
- Hoist System
- Hoist Drum
- Hoist Line
- Hoist Brake
- Wire Rope Inspection/Replacement
- Suspended Scaffold Rigging
- Anchorage Point
- Suspended Scaffold Equipment
- Structural Features
- Skill Level of Workers
- Cable alignment
- Transfer Cables
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Personal Fall Arrest System Requirements
- Anchor Point
- Vertical Life Lines
- Horizontal Life Lines
- Inspection of Gear
- Protection from Falling Objects
Practical training shall utilize a suspended scaffold similar to the type the employee will utilize in the field.
Practical shall verify the following:
- Select and wear appropriate PPE during practical training
- Perform proper pre-use inspection of scaffold and equipment
- Remove scaffold and associated tools/equipment from service if it is unsafe
- Identify hazards associated with suspended scaffolds
- React to unusual or emergency situations
- Understand proper use of tools and equipment
- Move material in a safe manner
- Utilize proper fall protection
- Determine safe suspended scaffold platform capacity
- Safely set up and use of suspended scaffold
- Secure materials for raising/lowering (rope knot application and usage)
- Access/egress from suspended scaffold properly
Training Center Provided Material
- Suspended Scaffold (onsite)
Reference Material / Documents
OSHA 29 CFR 1926 Subpart L
- Course ID #: MA081